Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Gender Debate

Consuming my thoughts of late is to know or not to know the sex of baby #3.  It's a good debacle to be in, really.  Everyday, I change my mind.  We I did not want to know with Lucy (which is so not "me"), and tried to find out with Clara (after much debate) who wasn't cooperating for the ultrasound, so both my girls were surprises...and wonderful surprises at that!  There really was nothing better after 17 hours of labor than hearing the words "It's a girl!!"  and it was no less exciting hearing it the second time. 

Someone told me, while pregnant with Lucy, that knowing the gender of their unborn child helped them bond.  These words really haunted me for a while.  I remember the first couple of days post-partum looking at both of the girls in shock, thinking who are you? but I can confidently say it did not take long for the babes and I to be acclimated to one another :).

 I spent most of my pregnancies assuming they were both boys,  even though I had dreams with both of them that they were girls, which brings me to my third.  I am almost positive this one is a boy, though the girls protest and would like another baby sister.  I had a dream that Lucy told me, disappointed, that this baby is a boy.  When I woke up that morning, real-life Lucy told me she had a dream that night that the baby was a boy.  Similar dreams in the same night?  I think this means boy.  My nurse practitioner messed up this theory when she told me she has three girls and had a dream that her third was a boy...hmm...

Everyone assumes we are really hoping for a boy this time, but it would really be easier to have another girl...short-term, anyway.  We already have a pink high chair and a lavender nursery.  And though I don't believe in going to the hospital with one, final name choice, Tony and I agree on a girl name for the first time ever.  So, yeah, we are probably going to have a boy :)

If we do decide to find out, I am going to ask for the "results" in a sealed envelope so we can find out together with the girls.  I think gender reveal parties are narcissistic, and I don't love trends, but should we find out, we plan to do gender reveal cupcakes :)


I do not often ask for other people's thoughts and opinions on such matters (as you can see I have formed some strong opinions on the topic myself), but I would like for my friends and family to weigh in on this one.  To find out or not to find out?

Also, I obviously already know all of the fun things that come with having girls, so if you would please share all of the things there are to look forward to with having a boy (as that is unknown territory to me), that would be greatly appreciated...as well as links to cute boy clothes :)  K thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment