Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Room for the Ladybugs

Besides round two of Total Money Makeover, dieting like a crazy person, chasing the ladybugs, reorganizing every closet in our house for an appraisal, folding laundry, doing dishes, getting puked on, cleaning puke out of sheets, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, and the occasional downtime with my new iPad, I decided to take on a little project for the girls' new room.  After a couple of months now in the same room, with a little help from Pinterest for DIY inspiration, I feel everything
is finally coming together...for now...


 
Above Clara's crib - soon-to-be home of the new big girl bed (once purchased, upholstered, etc, etc....)


Lucy's name has finally been removed from her old room, glittered, and displayed above her bed on burlap (burlap is so hot right now ;) )
  
The quilting circles and wreath were my creations, mixed with some awesome thrift store finds, and a framed photo of my great grandmother above the new dress up trunk (my old toy box from when I was a little girl)

 The "cameos" of the girls are courtesy of my friend Lynne who does all of our family photos and my Etsy merchandise pictures.  I harassed her to make silhouettes with Photoshop (thanks, Lynne!!) and I cut them out on fabric paper, framing them in some thrift store oval frames.  I adore these.

I have been on the search for a little table and chairs for the girls probably since Lucy was born, but I am super picky and decided if I want something specific, I had better just suck it up and get started myself. 
So now I am finishing my newest project for their room.  Lucy has been setting up tea parties in the living room on our coffee table (the next victim of my staple gun) or breakfast nook.

Our dining room set has been passed down to us from my parents and I want to say it's my dad's grandmother's set (the woman in the picture? maybe.) which would mean it is the girls' great-great-great-grandma?  Is that right?  Anyway, the set is oooooold.  Awesome, and well made, but old.  As it turns out, furniture ages, and people are not as light as they were in the 1920's or whenever this set was made and some of the chairs have fallen apart.  They are loud and creaky, and I hold my breath everytime someone sits in them, so we have since purchased new chairs, but some of the chairs are still good, and could probably last a while longer if only handling 25-35 lbs a sitting :)


Anyway, I remember when my mom recovered them, say, 10-15 years ago?  And she did a beautiful job, that crafty, perfectionist, mama of mine....



The fabric complimented my parents' house well, and the dining room well, but I wanted to go a different direction (shabby chic, though come to think of it, there's not much shabby about them) with them for the girls' new tea party set up in their bedroom.

I found this yummy fabric (sorry, I describe most things I like as yummy, especially chunky babies)...


and this awesomely mustard trim....
(I am really crazy about mustard right now, it's my new robins-egg-blue)


and added some flair (because you know how obsessed I am with flair)...



and now I have two of these beautiful chairs! 



and wouldn't you know, they are already being put to use before they make their way upstairs for at least 500 tea parties ;)








Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. The chairs look GREAT! Yes, those are from Your Great Grandmother Barbara (Dunlop) Perego, My Mom's Mom. One of the many Matriarchs in that line of the family. And the photo in the girls room is of her.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete