Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day Shift

Since moving to Austin, Tony has (for the most part) been working sort of odd hours.  I have prayed for a very long time that he get moved to days.  I cannot help but smile from ear-to-ear tonight as I have learned that, as of next month, he will be starting work in the....wait for it....mornings!

For the longest time I have been starting too many sentences with, "If only Tony worked during the day...".  I have to admit it hasn't all been bad.  I will miss the late night sitcom marathons together, driving in the summer months to get coffee in the convertible in the mornings, pancakes (just about) every morning, and help loading the girls up on my busy mornings.  It may not seem like much, but this will be a huge lifestyle change and adjustment for us.  We will finally be able to reclaim Friday nights! 

On that note, I am so proud of my husband.  I remember the first time we came to Austin and looked at apartments.  We went out for dinner that night and I was about 7 months pregnant with Lucy.  The visit had not gone well and Tony (a man of not many words) sincerely told me to just trust him.  He said something along the lines of sticking out this new job for a couple of years and eventually we will make all of our dreams come true. He told me it may not be pretty, or even easy at first, but we will get to a place that makes us happy.  He works so hard for us.  I am just proud.  Simply proud.

In the same conversation, Tony talked about how going somewhere new to the both of us could be the best thing for our relationship, though I wanted to be closer to family and friends.  After two and a half years here, I can say he was right.  We have grown together and built our lives here in Austin.  We have, together, flourished.  What was once looked at as a less-than-ideal situation is now my beautiful life...and I have Tony to thank.  Though it hasn't been that long, it seems like forever ago that Tony and I were two care-free college kids whose lives came to a standstill when I found out I was pregnant.  "Friends" of his made comments about how we should "not rush into things" and even better, "take care of it".  Tony went from being a guy to a real man.  He took on his role of a father and provider with pride and grace.  I am so lucky...no, forget that...I am blessed. 

I know and see how hard he works here at home each and everyday.  I am grateful that his hard work at work has been noticed.  He deserves this.  And I love him.  More and more everyday.
...now about that part-time early-hours job I just started....

4 comments:

  1. yaaay! way to go tony! i knew he'd prob. get a different shift soon! tell him we say congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. He really is a true man. You've got a good one, Anna. He has really stepped up to the plate in a multitude of ways. Our society really loves to bully marriage these days, saying it is an outdated tradition. But reading the words you have written to describe your husband reminds me that people aren't meant to live as individuals, but as a team. Congrats on building a life and marriage that is built on the truly important things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got goose-bumps reading this...so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

    ReplyDelete