Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Work at Home Parents

Around the time I was born, I'm told, my mom started selling art on the side for extra cash, and a social life outside of her life as a stay-at-home mom.  From what I understand, my mom's "cute art thing" (as my dad called it) turned into an income bigger than my dad's.  My dad then quit his job, started selling art with my mom and you could say "the rest is history".

To make a long story short (or a long story longer) my mom and dad came a long way since then, including leaving their company to start their own from scratch, building a free standing building with a show room and operation facility where they stretched and framed all of their own canvases.  They have earned many trips around the world, and later hosted their sales staff on trips themselves.  I have seen (as well as experienced first-hand) what the opportunity of working your own business can mean for people from teachers who sell art on the side, to professional salesmen and women who live, eat, and breathe their business.  I know for many people, it's not always about the income, but about recognition, time away from home, or a passion for a product.

Having a mom who worked evenings meant she was available to chaperon my field trips in elementary school, and able come pick me up from school when I was sick. I also got special time with my dad who cooked dinner for us (regardless of whether or not Mom was working) every night, which I think has played a huge part in the close relationship I have with my father.   In high school and college, my brother Mike and I both worked for my parents, and it really was a family business!  I always had a sense of pride for what my parents did and the risks they took to get there.

A couple of years ago, though, I started having some internal dissonance over the fact that my parents owned one of those companies where you get invited to someone's house to buy something.  I had been to enough of these parties that came across as pushy, tacky, and even scheduled under false pretenses.  (A friend of mine was asked to be a model for a "look book" - which is apparently code word for makeup party where your friends are pressured to buy stuff and nobody's picture is taken)

Then I was inspired and had a change of heart.  Just recently, a couple of my friends have fallen in love with various products (all for very good reasons, I might add) which happen to be marketed through direct sales.


Direct Sales; "The direct personal presentation, demonstration, and sale of products and services to consumers, usually in their homes or at their jobs."

As is true of any kind of business, I will say that not all direct sales companies are created equal.  There are the household names that have reputations for being "pyramid schemes" (which are illegal, by the way, and very unlikely), and the ones known for being overly priced, or having pushy salespeople.  However, I have been incredibly impressed by the number of really great up-and-coming businesses.

Just last night I was at a party for an all-natural food company (Wildtree) whose price point is comparable, if not cheaper, than grocery stores and healthier, allergen-free alternatives.  It was started by a mother whose son was allergic to additives in food, so she started experimenting with herbs and spices, and selling them at local farmer's markets and shows around the country.  She recently opened her company to consultants throughout the country, and voila!  - a company that is a win-win-win for her, the consumer, and of course the full-time working mother who loves the product and can make a little extra cash to spread the word!

Not that I will go into detail on all of these companies, but some of my other favorite direct sales companies I have seen pop up are Jamberry Nails, and I'm in looooove with the jewelry line of Stella & Dot!

Now, I have several friends who have recently signed up for many of these very cool companies, and naturally, with my background, and being a stay-at-home-mom with my own little business based out of my home, I want to support them all, as they have for me in my business.  I do fear, a little bit, becoming that mom at playgroup that everyone starts avoiding like the plague because you are afraid I am going to pounce on you and invite you over 10 times in the next two months to buy things.....SO, I have (with help) come up with a way to support my fellow mamas (without having to buy everyone wine on a regular basis)!!!

Coming soon -- Blog Giveaways!

Details to follow on what exactly will be given away (I already have a lineup, mwah-ha-ha) but I will tell you straight up that I have and will only promote products that I use and love myself.  I do not, in any way, get paid for writing my blog or plugging products (other than any income from advertising my own shop, of course) and my blog will carry on as usual, now with occasional perks to reading and commenting ;)

In the meantime, I came across this, and can't get enough.  I want to keep this in my wallet to remind me to support more of "the little guy" and less, well....Target.



To all you creators, sellers, full-time teachers, students, caregivers, stay-at-home, work-at-home, and never-at-home moms; keep up the good work!

1 comment: